Background and Mission
A place where people love to work and to do business.
PrimeWay was organized in April 1937 as Houston Telephone Federal Credit Union to serve the employees of Southwestern Bell in the Houston area. In April 2003, the name was officially changed to PrimeWay Federal Credit Union. The name change was prompted by credit union growth and diversification of membership.
Throughout the 80’s and 90’s mergers played a pivotal role in expanding our select employer groups and helping the credit union reach out to even more families. On January 1, 1986, Food Industry and Binco Credit Unions merged with Communicators, as we were then known. In January 1988, the credit union merged Unitex Federal Credit Union. This merger gave us access to 75 percent of the medical center for membership. In August 1989, Galveston News Employees Credit Union joined the credit union. In 1990, Ridgway’s Federal Credit Union merged with us. In 1994 The Methodist Hospital (TMH) Credit Union merger transpired, providing us with an office that still exists to serve our members today.
In December 2003, PrimeWay embarked on another merger, and welcomed Washington County Community Development Federal Credit Union members into our family. This opened membership to everyone in Washington County. In January of 2004, the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) granted PrimeWay a community charter allowing us to serve not only our select employer groups, but enabling us to provide a better financial alternative to everyone who lives, works, worships, or attends school in the City of Houston. Most recently, PrimeWay merged with TexasOne Community Credit Union in June 2010, adding five new branch locations and expanding the field of membership to include approximately 160 Select Employer Groups, the City of Houston, as well as Fort Bend, Washington and most of Harris County.
Want to fight for your financial freedom? Join Us!